Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

You Can't Get Rid of The Babadook...

First of all, what the hell did I just watch?! I'm not usually one for horror films, they don't normally appeal to me but obviously with doing a radio show about films it helps to watch a mix of everything and change it up a bit.

That is such a strange film that its hard to describe and explain. I know its meant to be a really scary horror film but to be honest I wasn't actually that scared at all. I think because I was expecting things to happen and expecting it to be freaky that it didn't actually properly scare me. There were times when I jumped a bit and moments where it gave me goosebumps watching it, but nothing that made me freak out and want to hide away from the babadook.



Instead of trying to find the actual description and plot line of this film, I'll give my idea of it instead. Amelia (Essie Davis), is a single mother to Samuel (Noah Wiseman), after her husband died and finds it difficult coping with Samuels belief in monsters and his fear of them being everywhere. One night when reading a story to Samuel before bed, she realises this book isn't quite right and hides it away out of sight of anyone. However, this book The Babadook has brought on more fear and belief in monsters fro Samuel so much that it almost controls everything he does. He makes weapons to fight them and plans how he'll kill the babadook. It drives Amelia insane and in the end the book and the babadook have so much control over how she treats Samuel.

I would definitely not say this is a suitable film for everyone and most definitely not for children, ever. Also, even though it didn't properly scare me, I'd still recommend watching it in day light hours before going to sleep. I'm glad I did. This is a good film and I can definitely see why it's gotten such high ratings.

Well done to Jennifer Kent and the producers for creating this film is all I have to say. I wouldn't usually pick this out to watch, but I unexpectedly liked it and think if you like films that are a little different then give it a watch, might not be quite what you expected either.


Until next time, thanks for reading :) x