Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Packing Lighter at Modern Creative Life

When I was facilitating support groups at a children's grief center, we had an activity in which we asked the kids to write down all the things that bothered them -- the death of the parent or sibling for which they were attending the groups, bullying, stresses at school, fear of losing their home, a mean teacher, a best friend moving. Then we had them rank those and we put food items of various weights in a backpack the child wore.

Paris 2009 -- In the days when packing light was the last thing on my mind!

A bag of potatoes, a box of jello, a can or juice. They all had weight and collectively, they weighed the bag down till the child could hardly stand. It was only by taking things out, repacking the bag and learning to deal with what was in the bag -- perhaps making something better of it -- that the load became lighter.

For decades I over packed my physical and emotional baggage. Whether I was hauling a super-sized suitcase around Japan or the hurts and losses and fears from years of living, those things weighed me down. It was a greater struggle to haul a big bag up the steps and an emotional struggle to let go of the past.

In my recent essay in Modern Creative Life, I reflect on Packing Lighter. I hope you'll head over there to check it out. And while you're there, take a look at some of the other thoughtful essays and intriguing pieces and consider submitting something yourself!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar